Opinions?

Roger Jolly baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Fri, 28 Nov 1997 19:23:59

At 07:17 PM 11/28/97 -0500, you wrote:
>Greetings list,
>     I received the following from a regular contributor on another  group.
> I could not help, as I have not seen these pianos.  I would welcome comments
>from those that have.
>

>>"Today I had the surprise of my life. A piano dealer in Pacific Grove >had
>in his window a brand new high gloss (polyester) black Wuritzer >5'1" grand
>made in Korea . I sat down to play it, expecting it to sound >like a bad
>Young Chang or Samick, and found that it sounded really >very beautiful
>indeed.
>
><snip> In fact, this piano
>
>>reminded me of a small Schimmel grand I had played recently.
>

>>       What impressed me was the finish work. The hammers are hitting >the
>strings squarely, and there are no leaking agraffes, the dampers >lift evenly
>off the strings, the key work is beautiful. I checked out the >bridge
>notching, and found it was beautiful work. The only slightly >negative aspect
>was that the action felt a little bit sluggish, or heavy, >although the notes
>repeated well.
>
>  >   I wanted to ask if you have had any experience with Wurlitzer .grands
> manufactured in Korea. If the keyframes are made out of >pressed fibre, or
>if there is any other glaring manufacturing >deficiency I would like to know
>about it before making a >recommendation.""
>
>Thoughts anyone??
>Ed Foote
>
>Hi Ed,
       Pro tech the action centres and retime the dampers usually gets rid
of the sluggishness and heaviness. The hammers on on our last three
shipments are a lot softer, therefore the sweeter tone, in fact they are
now showing a very pleasant English vowel like quality at ppp. We also
micro fine the knuckles as a matter of routine. A great bang for the buck.
with good dealer prep it's starting to become an excellent mid range
quality instrument. For very little more the 5'8" is an even better buy. As
for recommendation it should go hand in glove with the quality of
dealership that the person is dealing with.
Regards Roger.

Roger Jolly
University of Saskatchewan
Dept. of Music.