Eterna review...Yamaha from China

ETomlinCF3 ETomlinCF3@aol.com
Fri, 28 Nov 1997 16:36:19 EST

Well group, Yamaha has done it.  Pianos from China.  I knew I would not like
them...after seeing other products from China and Indonesia, I was very
suspect.
Wow, was I wrong...they say Made by Yamaha Pearl River.  They look like an M1
console.  44" and sound great.  Sound board looks good but not like a Yamaha,
action feels good.  Hammers and action look like regular stock Yamaha.
Bridges are notched in bass but are multi-laminated without the normal
precision but still are acceptable.  Full perimeter plate looks like a stock
M500 series plate.  Pedals are a bit clunky but work fine (much like most
domestic pianos).

I expect the highest quality from Yamaha and was disapointed to find pianos
with their name on it from China....until I met the first one....I was
wrong...This is a seven on a ten scale.  Yamahas rate generally in the 9's or
better in my book.

Price is in the low $3k retail.  Better than a comparable Korean product.

Ed Tomlinson
Tomlinson Tuning and Repair