Singing Strut/Bell Metal

John Musselwhite musselj@cadvision.com
Wed, 26 Nov 1997 13:05:13 -0700

At 02:04 PM 11/23/97 -0500, Newton wrote:

>Bells have been made from cast iron.

My Dove's guide to the Church Bells of Britain (and the world) lists some
"cast steel bells", but none made of cast iron. Steel bells sound horrible
(to my bronze bell/Simpson Tuning-trained ear) as well as being highly
susceptable to rusting. Cast iron might be worse. Given the conditions in
most steeples they certainly wouldn't be permanent like bronze bells.  Even
the clappers on most large bells are usually made of wrought iron rather
than being cast. I might add we take ours to a blacksmith when they break,
which doesn't happen very often.

>Some piano factories even bragged about the bell medal plates.

Whether it's Big Ben, the Liberty Bell or one of Paul Revere's excellent
bells, "bell metal" is nearly always 77% copper and 23% tin, which makes
bronze (like a Canadian penny). Train, school and ships bells are
traditionally made from brass, which is usually 67 percent copper and 33
percent zinc.  If you stretch the point though, a "bell" could be made from
any solid material, so any metal could be a "bell-metal".

>Try gluing some jeffy leads underside the strut to load it below current
>frequency.

Yet another use for CA glue? B-})

John Musselwhite, RPT
Calgary, Alberta Canada