Water on hammers

Roger Jolly baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Wed, 26 Nov 1997 13:25:39

Ad lacquer surface for varying periods of time. It should escape unscathed.

>I know nothing about the formulation of nail polish or how it is tested
for application suitability.

>My only reason for suggesting acetone -- the regular kind -- is that it
does soften and dilute all of the normal types of
>lacquer commonly used to harden hammers. Unless the technician uses some
special formulation, this is most commonly the same
>lacquer used for finishing the case work of the piano. Done properly, at
least some of the hardened lacquer can be diluted
>and washed out of the hammers without otherwise altering them. If you just
soften the lacquer without washing it out, what
>has been gained? Once as much of the lacquer has been washed out as will
come out, then one is free to use whatever other
>voicing techniques seem appropriate.
>
>Another question: Since some technicians and even one factory that I know
of use plastic (as in keytop scraps dissolved in
>acetone) as a hammer hardening solution, it might be nice to know what
effect alcohol has on this material.

>(There is another approach, of course... design and build the piano in
such a way that no hardening solution of any kind is
>needed on the hammers. But that's another story.)
>
>-- ddf
>
>Hi Del,
         I totally agree with your comments,re. washing the hardeners out,
however some of the manufactors in recent years have even experimented with
a polyester type of granual, with acetone as the solvent. Alcohol or
acetone can help for a relatively short period of time, but many of these
products (hardeners) continue to cure over many months if not years. The
problems that we are talking about are usually found on pianos that are
still covered by warranty, therefore if this is the case, replace the
hammers through the cooperation of the dealer and maker.
  This approach gets attention, and gives better long term results for the
consumer.
   I have also noticed that these hardeners have a very dramatic change
during the extremely dry winters of the praries, so RH conditions seem to
be important.

Roger Jolly
University of Saskatchewan
Dept. of Music.