voicing or???

Tom Cole tcole@cruzio.com
Tue, 25 Nov 1997 22:10:20 -0800

Edward Carwithen wrote:

>   Almost sounds out of tune, but the SAT has each string exactly right....
> I thought out-of-phase, but not sure how to fix it.  Can anyone give me a
> suggestion to try?

Ed,

Tuning a unison dead on with the SAT doesn't always produce the most
pleasing result where there are false beats. To check this out, first
listen to the individual strings of the unison and tune the best string
to the correct pitch. If the best string was, say, #1, next tune the
middle string to the first with #3 muted. Now, with all three strings
unmuted, tune the third string to the other two. This will probably be
the best tuning for that unison. The SAT will show the individual
strings tuned to slightly different pitches.

If you have time to chase out the false beat causes then, by all means,
go ahead. If the strings speak true then the tuning will last longer.

Regards,
Tom

--
Thomas A. Cole RPT