Bosendorfer (was Re: Bearing)

Avery Todd atodd@uh.edu
Tue, 25 Nov 1997 15:44:18 -0600 (CST)

Horace/Theodore,

   I restrung a Bosendorfer a year or so ago. Is there any reason not to
remove the bearing bar for ease of stringing? What about dressing as would
normally be done? I didn't remove it, but it would have been a little
easier to string.
   We have 10 others that need restringing also, so was wondering for
future reference.

Avery

>I have to agree with Theodore, here.
>
>The Bosendorfer capo has several unique qualities, one of which is
>a squared-off (that is, non-"v" shaped) bearing surface.  Raising the
>capo could certainly be done, most easily using brass shims, such
>as those used in engine rebuilding.  Lowering is another issue, and
>should be done, if at all, using something on the order of a cylinder
>head facing lathe.
>
>Even if this (normally hardened) surface needs re-tooling, I think the
>optimum approach is to do the minimum necessary.
>
>Remember that Bosendorfers are designed with very little crown
>and bearing to begin with, and assembled with very little (it
>any tension) on the board/frame.  Even more than with most instruments,
>playing around with one of these can be most dangerous
>to one's reputation...
>
>Good luck.
>
>Horace

>>         The capo bar on the Bosendorfer is removable for repair,BUT I do NOT
>>know weather you can regulate it for height easily. You would need a very
>>good bearing gauge to determine this.  AND you could raise it easier than
>>lower it. Rarely would be the case to raise it permanently. My opinion "just
>>let it alone".
>>                                                        Theodore MamelRPT
>>                                                         Pittsburgh Chapter

Avery Todd, RPT