Music theory (was Boston Grands...)

Jerry Hunt jhunt@geocities.com
Tue, 25 Nov 1997 15:11:25 +0000

> Thanks for answering, Jerry.
>
> I remember when we first stared studying tuning one day in class I
> mentioned "sharps and flats" and everybody laughed. Apparently for
> tuners, black notes are only sharps. How everyone knew this so early
> in the study process I can't imagine.
>
> I only brought it up because some (though not most) of our customers
> are musicians, and to some of them "major fourths" sounds illiterate.
> I thought someday someone might avoid the egg-on-face routine, with a
> customer before whom they'd rather shine.
>
> F-A# (ascending) is an augmented third, which is kind of a weird bird.
> Hope your turkey is less weird ... a major bird, or a perfect bird,
> whichever is the most correct. <g>
>
> Regards,
>
> Susan
>
> Susan Kline
> P.O. Box 1651
> Philomath, OR 97370
> skline@proaxis.com
>
> "I know exactly how long it will take me: whatever time is available,
> plus a little more."
>                         -- Ashleigh Brilliant

Susan,
Hello again. Quite obviously, your music theory isn't nearly as rusty as
mine (and cob-webbed, too, I might add). I quite agree with you - and I
seem to recall that there was an article in the Journal in recent memory
(which is, by definition, less than a year) that dealt with being able
to communicate with one's customers. And perhaps, it would be well for
someone to write a music theory refresher for the Journal (hint, hint).

However, at the current stage of my career, most of the pianos I tune
are played by young students, none of whom have ever made an inquiry to
test my knowledge (or lack thereof) of music theory. (I did have one
stand next to me and whistle while playing Nintendo once, but that's
another story...).

But it is something that I should probably brush up on, because living
in Dallas, who knows, maybe someday I could tune for Van Cliburne
himself (it's my fantasy and I'm sticking to it).

At any rate, for the next few days, my concentration will be not on an
augmented third, but on an augmented bird.  Happy Thanksgiving - all the
best to you and yours.

Jerry