Boston Grands - Reply to Newton Hunt's post

Susan Kline skline@proaxis.com
Tue, 25 Nov 1997 11:53:18 -0800 (PST)

Jerry Hunt wrote:
>Susan,
>You are technically correct, but then it has been my experience that
>piano tuners compromise technical precision (in nomenclature) in favor
>of brevity. By the same token, you might see a reference to an F-A#
>interval, whereas the technically correct designation is F-B_flat, this,
>I suspect, partially due to the fact that most of us don't have a key on
>our keyboard for the flat sign, but do have one for the #.
>
>Have a very happy Thanksgiving.

Thanks for answering, Jerry.

I remember when we first stared studying tuning one day in class I mentioned
"sharps and flats" and everybody laughed. Apparently for tuners, black notes
are only sharps. How everyone knew this so early in the study process I
can't imagine.

I only brought it up because some (though not most) of our customers are
musicians, and to some of them "major fourths" sounds illiterate. I thought
someday someone might avoid the egg-on-face routine, with a customer before
whom they'd rather shine.

F-A# (ascending) is an augmented third, which is kind of a weird bird. Hope
your turkey is less weird ... a major bird, or a perfect bird, whichever is
the most correct. <g>

Regards,

Susan

Susan Kline
P.O. Box 1651
Philomath, OR 97370
skline@proaxis.com

"I know exactly how long it will take me: whatever time is available, plus a
little more."
			-- Ashleigh Brilliant