profanity

Anne Beetem abeetem@wizard.net
Tue, 25 Nov 1997 08:31:15 -0500

At 04:05 PM 11/24/97 -0500, you wrote:

>Good manners are always appropriate especially in an open forum.

  Yes, but part of good manners is knowing when to complain or not.  While I
do not believe in using foul language myself (unless of course I'm about to
be sideswiped on the Beltway), I have found that the quality of a person's
language really doesn't measure the person or the person's thoughts, just
indicates the circles in which they have lived, which  are not necessarily
the dregs.  Some of the foulest mouth groups I've known were professors at
supposedly high-brow universities.  They are, after all, just words, used to
outline and caricature expression.

  Life is too short to waste time getting irritated over scatological words.
Let's stick to understanding the intent.

  On the other hand, my wise father used to tell me that people use such
words when they can't think of something more artful.

  ab

Anne Beetem
Harpsichords & Historic Pianos