..what is...etc.. (VERY FAR offtopic)

Mon, 24 Nov 1997 20:56:22 -0800

List,

We tune a note, and, physics being what it is, that note is
evaporating (aurally) as it is played.

We regulate and voice an instrument, and for a brief while,
that instrument may well be something special.

We rebuild an instrument, and, if we have done our
work well, for 30 years or so, people can look at it with
pride.

We callously injure our fellows, through word, deed, or
yes, thought, and we do violence not only to them, but
also to ourselves, and through this medium, many others.
Potentially for many, many years.

We should, each of us, remember that not only technicians
subscribe to this list (or to CAUT, for that matter).  It is a
public list, not a private one; and we should behave
accordingly.

Oscar Wilde once said that: "People forget that it is the little
acts of everyday that make or unmake character.  Therefore,
everything that we do, we shall one day have to shout
from the rooftops."

In the present context, our communal rooftop is the Internet.
And through it, our shouts are heard on other rooftops around
the globe in a matter of minutes.

How do we wish to be perceived by others?

Ultimately, how do we wish to be perceived by ourselves?

Peace.

Oh, by the way, Sunday is the first day of Advent...

Horace

Horace Greeley

Systems Analyst/Engineer
Controller's Office