Grand knuckle material

David ilvedson ilvey@a.crl.com
Mon, 24 Nov 1997 20:51:02 +0000

> From:          Billbrpt@aol.com
> Date:          Mon, 24 Nov 1997 20:56:30 -0500 (EST)
> To:            pianotech@ptg.org
> Subject:       Re: Grand knuckle material

A grease can be absorbed into the buckskin and make a beautiful
imprint of the jack and rep over time.  It also attracts dust
which will add to the friction.  Really folks you don't need
anything except the micro-fine teflon powder.  You may need to
reapply it a few times but it will eventually last quite a long
time.

David ilvedson, RPT
Pacifica, CA

> << Any kind of grease is the LAST thing you want on a knuckle. Clean, dry
> leather with dry talc or teflon powder is all you should consider using.
>   >>
>      Thanks, Paul, for your reply which I really appreciate but I want to
> know why, specifically, you feel that any type of grease must not be used.  I
> noted that a dry lubricant had been used by the dealer.  This had apparently
> broken down.  While a grease is generally better suited to heavy pressure and
> long, hard use, such as in pedal trapwork, I felt that using a thin layer of
> grease,rubbed into the knuckles, might not break down again so quickly.
>      I've had a customer ask before, with good reason, when I've been seen
> using a "quick fix for a squeak" if the problem might not reccur as quickly
> as it was remedied.   The goal in using a high viscosity lubricant is for
> longevity.  The question is, "What are the negative consequences?"   What
> terrible things will Protek grease do to A). natural buckskin   B).
>  synthetic material?
>     Everyone knows by now that graphite grease was bad, yet it was used a
> lot.  I suspect for the same reasons I cite here:  that lighter viscosity
> lubricants break down too easily.
>     Please explain the reasoning behind you above comment.
>      Sincerely,
>      Bill Bremmer RPT
>      Madison, Wisconsin
>      "I have only one real enemy... mediocrity"

ilvey
Pacifica, CA
ilvey@a.crl.com