Bearing

Mon, 24 Nov 1997 20:37:44 -0800

Isaac,

I have to agree with Theodore, here.

The Bosendorfer capo has several unique qualities, one of which is
a squared-off (that is, non-"v" shaped) bearing surface.  Raising the
capo could certainly be done, most easily using brass shims, such
as those used in engine rebuilding.  Lowering is another issue, and
should be done, if at all, using something on the order of a cylinder
head facing lathe.

Even if this (normally hardened) surface needs re-tooling, I think the
optimum approach is to do the minimum necessary.

Remember that Bosendorfers are designed with very little crown
and bearing to begin with, and assembled with very little (it
any tension) on the board/frame.  Even more than with most instruments,
playing around with one of these can be most dangerous
to one's reputation...

Good luck.

Horace

At 03:21 PM 11/24/97 -0500, you wrote:
>Isaac,
>         The capo bar on the Bosendorfer is removable for repair,BUT I do NOT
>know weather you can regulate it for height easily. You would need a very
>good bearing gauge to determine this.  AND you could raise it easier than
>lower it. Rarely would be the case to raise it permanently. My opinion "just
>let it alone".
>                                                        Theodore MamelRPT
>                                                         Pittsburgh Chapter

Horace Greeley