..what is...etc.. (VERY FAR offtopic)

Susan Kline skline@proaxis.com
Mon, 24 Nov 1997 18:45:20 -0800 (PST)

Keith McGavern wrote:
>This part of your post also caught my attention, Jim.  Wasn't this what he
>(Bill) was trying to illustrate and his whole point, that we shouldn't talk
>about other people and their works in an unbecoming fashion?  It appears
>you are calling him on the very thing he was initially addressing.  In
>principle it shouldn't matter whether it's close to home (about someone on
>the list) or far away (someone off the list).
>
>What is that saying you are bringing up every now and then, "If it's not
>right for one, then it's not right for all", or something like that.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Keith,

As you just said,

>Wasn't this what he
>(Bill) was trying to illustrate and his whole point, that we shouldn't talk
>about other people and their works in an unbecoming fashion?

Yet Bill has been talking about his colleagues, their works, and this list
in an unbecoming fashion ever since he joined us. His flame to Conrad
Hoffsommer, which it now appears was just the continuation of an earlier
disagreement, was the first hostile post this list had seen in months.
Before that post, pianotech had enjoyed a possibly unparalleled period of
quiet, productive, supportive exchange and good fellowship.

Lists call for tolerance if they are to work well, and I suppose if we must
tolerate Bill Bremmer's attempts to rile us that we can. I would still
vastly prefer civility, and I stand by my original advice to him, which he
deleted. If he wants to find out what I am talking about, he can get into
the old archive and search for "stickie", (March 28, 1997) which was truly
an inspired post and which did a lot to lead us to the peace we enjoyed till
so recently.

CAUT is a viable alternative for those who dislike the atmosphere here. We
don't have a monopoly on technical discussions about pianos.

So, with charity for all, and malice towards none ...

SUSAN KLINE (in caps so as not to be forgotten once again)

Susan Kline
P.O. Box 1651
Philomath, OR 97370
skline@proaxis.com

"I know exactly how long it will take me: whatever time is available, plus a
little more."
			-- Ashleigh Brilliant