"Sklar-Pepplar" Heintzman

atonal@planet.eon.net atonal@planet.eon.net
Tue, 18 Nov 1997 09:20:59 +0000

> 	Maybe this won't be of interest to our US friends:
> 	Yesterday I tuned a "Sklar-Pepplar" Heintzman 42" upright. I call
> it that because, after Heintzman sold out, the company was owned for a
> time by the furniture company Sklar-Pepplar. They made quite a few pianos
> and, although they weren't bad, they were nothing like the original
> Heintzmans.
> 	The one I tuned yesterday had a strange after-ring. It didn't
> occur when I played bass notes, only when I played in the high treble. It
> sounded like resonance from unmuted ends of strings, although all the ends
> seemed to have stringing felt wound through them.
> 	Any one have any ideas what the cause might be and how to correct
> it?
> 	Ken Burton "Doctor Piano" Calgary Alberta

Hi Ken,

	This wasn't a Sklar-Peppler Heintzman, but I've had a similar
problem on older Heintzmans. Specifically, there is a singing partial
on some of the lowest bass strings that is triggered by the higher
notes. I didn't calculate which partial it was, but F0 was ringing
when middle C root position chords were played, as well as higher
individual notes. Make a foot-long or so stick and cover one side
with hammer-rest rail cloth. Use this to mute sections of strings
while playing upper sections on the piano. If your ringing stops, get
after those dampers.

Hope this helps,

Rob Kiddell,
Registered Piano Technician, PTG