Kimball

Sun, 23 Nov 1997 11:51:59 -0800

First of all, let's separate out the grands from the verticals. (Mostly because I've not worked on or examined any late model
Kimball verticals.) The grands generally have some potential. Especially the "Viennese" grands they were building just before
they shut down their piano building operations and shipped everything to China.

With the grands the main problems were the use of poplar in their rims, their stringing scales and their generally sloppy
assembly quality. Unless you're replacing the soundboard there is not much you can do about rigidity of the the rim, so live
with it. At least it was reasonably well made; it is just a bit on the light and floppy side. Still a lot better than the
"Select Hardwood" found in many of today's low-end pianos. If you want to take the trouble to restring the things, much can
be done to improve their stringing scales and their sound. Just remember that inharmonicity is not the god of good piano
tone. Short of that, there is still a lot that can be done.

But for the most part, the techniques that will make them work are found in basic Piano Technology 101. There is nothing
mysterious about them.

Stringing was often pretty sloppy. Straighten it out as best you can. If the tuning pin height is uneven or too high, drive
them down. Tighten up the coils. Seat the strings on the bridges. The V-bar might or might not be well shaped. Check if you
find a lot of string noise. Resurface if necessary.

The hammers (at least on the pianos I have seen) were more often than not heavily lacquered. Probably to make up for their
general lack of good surfacing and string fit and the general lack of good stringing work and action regulation. Soak them in
acetone to dissolve and remove as much of the lacquer as possible. Surface them properly and fit them to the strings at least
reasonably well. (If you can't get the garbage out, it may be necessary to replace them. Go ahead, the piano's worth it.
Really!)

The later pianos used Herrburger-Brooks actions (they bought the company and owned it until recently when its ownership also
went to the Chinese) which were generally of good quality. Bed the keyframes, level the keys and regulate the action properly
and they will work just fine.

The damper systems will also work just fine if the damper pads are seated properly and if they are regulated correctly.

There are many grand pianos being built today that will probably not be worth rebuilding when their time comes (including
some with very good names -- I've already been in there and don't care to go back), but I'd not hesitate to tear into any of
the Kimball's I've come across. In fact, give me a Kimball 6'7" Viennese grand and I'll give you back a piano that will put a
lot of stock 6' 10-1/2" pianos to shame. (This may well be one of the best used piano sleepers of all time.)

Even a stock, but well prepped, Kimball grand will easily outperform most of today's Asian imports. And the structure was
solid enough that the work you do will not be wasted after six months of use. So, go ahead. Give it your best shot. Both the
piano and its owner will love you. You'll not have to be ashamed of your work and you can bank the check with a solid feeling
of accomplishment.

-- ddf