Horrible example(s) (flame, off topic)

Jon Page jpage@capecod.net
Sun, 23 Nov 1997 13:22:08 -0500

At 11:27 AM 11/23/97 -0500, you wrote:
<Bla, Bla, Bla snipped>
>Let's talk about design defects, defects in materials and workmanship,
>good vs. poor techniques, not about how badly any individual or manufacturer
>did their job, please.
>    Bill Bremmer RPT
>    Madison, Wisconsin

Is this to say that if an RPT (God Forbid) performed less than acceptable
work, you would not mention it to anyone or the PTG Ethics Committee?

I call a spade a spade. There is a guy locally who left a position in a
store to take over his deceased father's business. After all, the
electronic machine does the tuning, right?  As far as repairs - no piano
owner really
knows the difference between a wretched job and a quality job anyways.

In no uncertain terms, I inform the poor unfortunates that the work will
have to
be done over due to complete incompetence. Usually at greater expense to
handle the damaged portions. I don't guild his efforts or intentions,
(I'm not a Democrat),  just point out that he doesn't have a CLUE of what
he is doing.

Then there is the OTHER guy . . .  Now here you have to laugh - "to get more
volume, increase the key dip"      HA . . .         Is 1/2" funny?
If I just say, "He meant well", people won't get riled enough to call the
Better
Business Bureau.  We HAVE to tell the customer they were taken advantage of
by these bunglers.

The unfortunate part is that more times than not, they have spent the excess
money they had to fix the piano on the first go-round. Now, it is just a
matter of
jury rigging it to get it to work.

BTW,
>Let's talk about design defects, defects in materials and workmanship,
>good vs. poor techniques, not about how badly any individual or manufacturer
>did their job, please.

Defects in materials and workmanship _IS  .  .  . IS_how badly they did
their job.

Why glaze over the problem. Leave that to the kindergarten teacher to
relieve little Billy's tears over spilling the paint jar.

I say hold people accountable for their work.  String 'em up.

Jon Page
Harwich Port, Cape Cod, Mass. (jpage@capecod.net)
~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~