steinway D

Oleg Isaac oleg_i@club-internet.fr
Fri, 21 Nov 1997 07:33:08 +0100

Gilles Duplantie wrote:

> Hi all;
>
>      The Steinway D in the main recital hallrequired major repair
> to sounding board and bridge.  The bridge inthe treble section
> developed negative downbearing on the duplex side. The soundboard
> had come loose from the main beam also in th eupper section.
>
>      The piano is 18 years old and has been used for concerts and
> recordings by CBC. Assuming that jthe humidity is generally
> adequate, do you think that the spotlights on the piano could
> cause this damage.  The lights are quite strong and always seem
> to hit the treble section more directly.
>
>      Your opinions would be appreciated.
>
>           Best regards
>
>                Gilles
>
> --
> Gilles Duplantie
> Piano Technician, Music Department, University of Ottawa
> 1357 Place de Papillon, Orleans, ON    K4A 1Y9
> Tel. (613) 837-8671

Hello GIL - Hello list..,

How do you check the down bearing? I want to buy a component
down-bearing jauge, bubble model or other, in mm please if possible, and
I don't know where to buy it. Any IDEA ?
I ve been fooled by yhe slant on the bridge some time, chcking the
bearing. I now use a Baldwin (three legs) jauge type, on wich I put a
little bubble leve, but its not easy , nor accurate to manipulate these
twoo together.
I suppose if I heat the treble bridge it could loose some crown with
time, but it will be irreversiblme in this case. when re-stung, I would
apply 1,5 mm bearing in the treble for this particular case in intention
not to stress too much the board.
I don't expect afterthat to have much power in the treble, but the
downbearing may stay longer.
Any comment welcome .

Isaac

P.S KLAUS FENNER wrote a very intresting publication on "essay on the
diverses reasons and difficulties met when tuning a piano" (In German,
French, English, EUROPIANO PUBLICATIONS , VERLAG DAS MUSIKINSTRUMENT ,
FRANKFURT 1977 - ask me if you want the adress) He talk about side
bearing, down bearing, string angles, and string movement.