Duplex scale

Wed, 19 Nov 1997 21:37:57 -0800

Stephen Birkett wrote:

> Seems like we are parrying over different fish...my comments referred
> only to rear duplex systems, which is what is on my 1937 'S'.  I
> have never seen a piano with the front tuned duplex that you describe so
> cannot comment on the pros or cons of that particular design idea. Where
> exactly is the termination point for the main speaking length on such
> beasts? On the pinblock or the soundboard? That would make a big
> difference.
>
> By the way, translation..."listing" = "string braid".
>
> Stephen
> -----------------------------------

Perhaps. In my terminology the "front scale," or the "front duplex" -- whether it is "tuned" or not -- is the string segment
between the V-bar and whatever counterbearing bar is used between the V-bar and the tuning pin. This counterbearing bar can
be either adjustable (as was done originally) or cast in (as is now common). If it is supposed to be tuned I then refer to
that segment as either a "tuned front scale" or a "tuned front duplex." When this segment is tuned, it is usually intended to
vibrate sympathetically with some harmonic of the speaking string. (There are some probably equally valid theories that hold
that, properly done, this segment is actually supposed to be slightly mistuned). I put "tuned" in quotes because it is
impossible in the real world to accurately tune one of these things.

The "back scale," or the "back duplex," is the string segment between the bridge pin and the hitch pin. Again, this can be
tuned or untuned.

Clear as mud? Or should I go on and see if I can't confuse things even further?

-- ddf