tight pinning

Oleg Isaac oleg_i@club-internet.fr
Wed, 19 Nov 1997 23:48:56 +0100

Peter KESTENS wrote:

> 't MUZIEKINSTRUMENTENATELIER
> PETER KESTENS
> BELGIUM
> KESTENS.P@DEBCOM.BE

Peter, I agree with you.

Tech sepcifications I received from BOSENDORFER factory indicates that
the moist must be something AROUND 50% and the moist in the wood is then
9% for 20° c dry temperature AT THIS MOMENT, It changes with the rel
moist and temperature, growing dependently .-  STEYNWAY moist is 42% rel
at the factory (where the sounbords are made) -
By the way, there is a 8° for 25 cm slant on the bridge, toward the pins
(is it TOWARD ?) as I asked.

I have a diagram showing the relation between rel moist of air,
temperature and wood moisture.
 At  20° c 50% rel moist, wood moisture is 9,5 %
 At 20° c 40% rel moist, wood moisture is 7.7 %
At 20 °c 60 % rel moist, wood moisture is 11,5 %

wood moisture wiil be less with lower temperature, and grow with the
temperature, (some 0.5% plus with 10 degrees more)

Hope it is readeable

Our superior syndycate of dealers, in France, (SYCOMUS) produce a few
years ago a warranty for the piano (a document) indicating that the
piano MUST be in a place with 60° - 65 % moist (and if not the warranty
is off !) They are totally wron from my opinion.

The big thing here, is to have a minimum of changes and they must be
slow.
You seems to have a "normal" moist in the air like we have in Paris.
I agree it is better to be in a moit place than a dry.
I don't have problemes with tuning pins, but pinning (flanges) is too
tightrel moist changes with temperature of air too.
Steel began to corrode at 67%

If I made mistakes please let me know

Cordialement
Isaac