Duplex scale

Michael Jorgensen Michael.Jorgensen@cmich.edu
Wed, 19 Nov 1997 11:21:28 +0000

Hello ddf,
     Thank-you for taking time from your busy schedule of creativity to
respond to my post. I know bridges don't really float but they do move,
unlike (hopefully) pressure bars.  Perhaps that floating bridge E of
downtown Seattle would be a closer analogy?
    Is energy transfer the only important function of strings?  Could
pivitol action at bearing pts. alter imharmonicity and create a sweeter
tone?  I know of alot of loud but ugly sounding pianos out there.  I
find the new Yamaha C grands have tuned rear segments, some an octave
and some a 19th.
   Steinways' duplex scale has been such an icon and for so long, it is
hard to accept that it doesn't have some good purpose.  I know sailors
built many exquisite designs and sailed the high seas thousands of years
before they finally learned how sails really work - by "lift" not
catching the wind.  Could the duplex scale be one such thing-works but
we don't know why?  I think sympathetic noise from these segments is
about worthless and probably a liability-ie. the kind of thing we work
to voice out. You truly love pianos, a rare man in the industry- I wish
there were more like that---Mike Jorgensen