Duplex scale

Tue, 18 Nov 1997 20:13:19 -0800

Michael Jorgensen wrote:

> Hello List,
>      Wouldn't a tuned duplex scale segment enhance the tone of that
> harmonic in the speaking length not because of sympethetic ring but
> because a tuned segment would have a length equal to one of the harmonic
> wavelengths in the speaking length?  Would this enhance that harmonic by
> allowing or encouraging counterflex in the duplex segment equal to that
> harmonic thus less drag due to stiffness at the bearing point?  (i.e
> lifting a string makes it want to counterflex an equal amount on the
> otherside of the bearing point and when it is unequal there is stiffness
> which impedes this lifting?)  Forgive me for bringing up an old
> question, but I don't recall this aspect of duplex scales discussed in
> the recent articles.
> -Mike Jorgensen

---------------------------

Mike,

Any mechanism or system that allows energy to be transferred from the speaking portion of the string to any part of the piano
other than the bridge and soundboard detracts from the energy available to drive the bridge. Tuned duplex systems always
detract from the available sustain of each string afflicted with them. True, there is some minimal amount of pivoting action
across the V-bar in a tuned duplex system, but it's effect on energy losses due to internal friction at the termination point
is insignificant. Remember, it takes some amount of energy to drive that so-called "tuned" segment and energy losses into the
plate increase.

The balance of acoustic power and sustain has to be worked out in the relationship between the stringing scale design and the
soundboard, rib and bridge design and the design of the mechanism actually supporting the soundboard.

-- ddf