Da Buzz Revisited

Edward Carwithen musicman@eoni.com
Sat, 15 Nov 1997 20:19:37 -0800

Thanks to one and all for all the suggestions.  I went back this evening,
And did just about everything everybody told me.  There was an electrical
plug behind the piano, and it was cracked.  I disassembled and tightened; I
removed the keys (again), and cleaned, and replaced.  I took off the
covering fabric in back and cleaned and replaced it.  I removed the light
and put it on the other  side of the room.  I discovered an african drum by
the bookcase, and moved it away.
  I discovered that the separation which appeared to be on the soundboard
was a cosmetic paneling.  I tightened every screw and bolt I could find.  I
put it all back together, and LOW AND BEHOLLL, no BUZZ!  I don't have the
foggiest which action was responsible, but it's gone.
  Now I have to go back and reglue all the loose hammers, and totally
reshape them as well.  Some are only hitting one string, and have been like
that long enough to wear a single grove 1/8 inch deep.  Oh, and there are
several pins that will have to be replaced.
  When I am finished, the value of the instrument will shoot up to the
neighborhood of the price of a big mac.
  What the heck, for tonight....thanks to you guys, I am a hero.
Ed Carwithen
Oregon