Keyboard Magazine...

Ted Simmons ted@palmnet.net
Sat, 15 Nov 1997 16:00:42 -0500

Hi Kent,
Keyboards are O.K. if they would only stick to that name.  Around here they
are called pianos, with no distinction between electric or acoustic. The
store I used to tune for no longer sells acoustic pianos, only Yamaha
Clavinovas.  The only pianos they sell are those which were traded in for a
Clavinova.  I had a long discussion (almost an argument) with the dealer
about calling the Clavinova a piano.  Why do they call it a piano when it
could just as well be called an organ?  It's really closer to an organ
because of all the stops, bells, and whistles,  But they call them pianos!
I would like to see Yamaha and other keyboard makers stop this nonsense
and advise their dealers to call them electric keyboards, not pianos!

When I was tuning for this store and a customer came in to buy a piano,
they were steered over to the Clavinova section to "pianos" that "never
needed tuning".  That was the sales pitch they used and I resented it, but
what could I do?  I wanted to tell the customer that 5 years from now his
electric keyboard will be obsolete, but an acoustic piano will just be
broken in and ready to go for 50 more years at least.  But I was doing work
for that store and to complain would have been considered sour grapes and
would have invited giggles from the sales people.  They didn't care what
the customer bought as long as they got their commission.

When I enter a home and see a nice grand piano in the living room I think
nice things.  It's a pleasant experience.  A spindly-legged keyboard
doesn't give me the same warm feeling.  But notice how they are making them
look like grand pianos now!  What a farce!

O.K.  I'll get off my soapbox.  I feel better now.

Ted Simmons, Merritt Island, FL