Keyboard Magazine...

Kent Swafford kswafford@earthlink.net
Sat, 15 Nov 97 06:53:38 -0600

Danny Moore wrote:

>Kent Swafford wrote:
>
>> I have found Keyboard to be essential reading through the years.
>
>Kent, I've been a subscriber since the late 70's and still enjoy it.  I just
>recall really enjoying  the ongoing column that Larry used to write as
>well as
>fairly regular coverage about artists whose primary instrument was the
>acoustic piano.  I have often wondered if their decreasing coverage of
>anything acoustic is an indication of the overall attitudes of the public or
>just those of the mag. staff.  I'd be very interested in your (and others)
>opinions about this phenomenon.
>
>Danny

The piano is 300 years old and is mature, fully developed.  Electronic
instruments are closer to just 30 years old and still in their initial
stages of development.  The various manufacturers of electronic
instruments have a big incentive to advertise their lastest innovations
if they are to survive the cut.

I think the staff of Keyboard loves the piano.  Regular contributors Andy
LaVerne and Fred Hersch are associated with the piano.  The feature
article this month on Top Music of '97 includes many recordings of piano
music, including that of the young rocker, Ben Folds, who insists on
playing a real piano. (Or at least, he was still insisting on a real
piano when I tuned for him during the Lollapalooza [sp?] tour last year.)

I think the piano is holding its own fairly well.

Kent Swafford