Delaminated pin block

Les Smith lessmith@buffnet.net
Fri, 14 Nov 1997 21:00:03 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 14 Nov 1997, Don wrote:
> The Piano...well that is being generous
> A 4' 9" grand made by Mason & Risch some time before 1895, ivory keys in
> mint condition
> BUT pin block three layer...bottom layer mostly separated...like an 1/8 of
> an inch.
> Question:
> Any point in removing the action, jacking up the delaminated layer, and
> using CA glue copiously?
> I can not honestly suggest the instrument is *worthy* of a replacement pin
> block. There is little or no sentimental value folks.
> Opinions please...and if you want to reply privately I will understand. *grin*

The last time I saw a problem like that it was caused by a tech attempt-
ing to correct a "loose pin" problem by hammering every pin in the piano
as deeply into the pinblock as possible without supporting the block from
underneath first. The end result was that not only did he break the bottom
lamination of the block free, but he also impaled it on the drop screw
heads as well. Let's just say that removal of the action would have been
"problematic" at best. Even if the action HAD been removable, however, I
still would have passed on attempting any kind of repair because there
were other obvious problems with both bridges, the soundboard and the bass
strings which would have also had to be attended to before the piano could
be tuned. And I never even bothered to check out the action. The value of
even only the minimal repairs necessary to make the piano tunable and
playable would have far exceeded the value of the "instrument".

I know that M&R is a highly regarded name in pianos up in Canada, and I
would certainly never try to impinge its name to anyone holding a hoc-
key stick :), but seriously how much is a 100+ year old 4'9" M&R grand
worth? Probably about as much s a set of used ivory keytops in "mint
condition". Although we all have a tendency to come to think of ourselves
as "Super-Tech", capable of handling any problem which comes our way,
there are times when the best thing to do is simply to be upfront with
the customer, tell them that the piano has out-lived its useful life,
that the cost of the repairs would exceed the value of the instrument,
and then move on to more worthwhile and rewarding work. I believe that
this is probably one of those times. If they want to, they can after-
wards call in a young, inexperienced tech who hasn't yet learned that
there are times when the best thing to do is to simply walk away, and
this piano can become a learning experience for HIM which he will never
forget. In the meantime YOU can find yourself one of those fine, old
Heintzmann uprights, whose design was based upon things Theodore learned
when he was working at the Steinway factories here in the states in
the early days. I think you'll find it to be much more rewarding work.
Old Theo had a keen eye!

Les Smith
lessmith@buffnet.net