College sales

David M. Porritt dporritt@swbell.net
Fri, 14 Nov 1997 18:45:44 -0600

List;

The Baldwin piano co. loans us 13 pianos each year and at the end of the
year they have a sale.  It is not held on campus (our legal department
would not allow it fearing the loss of tax exempt status if we had a
commercial venture on campus.)  The sale is held at the local
dealership.  It has been very successful there.  The advertising is
honest and straight forward mentioning the loaner pianos and other new
and used instruments. When our ethical standards get in the way of our
better business judgement it's always best to go with the ethical
standards.

In this as in every venture in life, it's not the activity that is bad,
but the people doing it.  If you only work with honest people lots of
creative things can be done.  I know that if the dealer changed his
modus operendi the administration and legal department would stop it in
a heartbeat.

dave

David M. Porritt, RPT
Meadows School of the Arts