after-ring older 243 Baldwin

Roger Jolly baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Wed, 12 Nov 1997 19:32:19

At 02:13 AM 11/10/97 -0500, you wrote:

><< Last year I had a couple of situations like this.  One piano was a used
> Baldwin 243 that just had too much after-ring for the prospective customer's
> taste.  Replacing the old set with a set of longer, bigger  dampers, which I
> believe we use on the 6000's , quieted it down just fine.  Maybe the felts
> that are there just aren't up for the job.
>  >>

Hi all,
       My saga with the Hamilton dampers, dates back to the mid 70's, At
that time I was making my own triple block dampers from scratch. and using
tri damper wedges up to mid C. after on and off lobbying the company
finally changed, although it took another 2 or 3 years to get the tenor
improvements. This now goes to A220Hz.
  The Model 6000 has 4 damper wedges in the bass, but I would question if
they would make a significant improvement to the stock dampers that are now
used.
  Braiding the open sections of the bass strings will give a little
improvment, but I think the client would have to be unusually critical to
notice the difference. But if required do the top and botom sections.
Regards.
Roger Jolly
University of Saskatchewan
Dept. of Music.