Uprights

Granholm Bros. gbros@term.wanweb.net
Tue, 11 Nov 1997 11:06:57 -0800 (PST)

>John:  I am interested in the prices you receive for the uprights.  Thanks,

Jim:

For us,  full restoration on an upright consists of repairing soundboard,
repair or replacement of bridges, gilding plate, polish plate bolts &
screws, restring-repin, replace action parts (wippens, butts, shanks,
hammers, damper levers), recover & rebush keys, replate pedals (if nickel)
& rework trapwork, repair & refinish case (hand-rubbed lacquer), replace
casters and all knobs, butttons, decals, polish & lacquer hinges & other
brass or nickel parts, regulate, stabilize at standard pitch, pickup and
delivery.  For an upright, we get 4000-5000, depending on difficulty of
job.  We'll get about 10% more for an ebonized piano or for a custom color
(one lady wanted a mahogany piano pained ivory--we tried to talk her out of
it, but it surprised us and turned out pretty nice).

Grands are higher--about 25% on the refinish, and higher on inside rebuild,
particularly if we replace a pinblock or do a Steinway or other piano with
rare or expensive parts.

Customers can pay less for less work, using original good action parts for
example, but we make sure they understand what the options and consequences
are.

John