Piano Detectives

Frank Weston waco@ari.net
Tue, 11 Nov 1997 10:04:49 -0500

Les,

Your post touched a chord in me.  I thought you might like to hear the
story of a Knabe "B" that I restored last year.

Prior to this particular piano, I had restored a number of Knabe "B"
grands from the 1920's, and had come to respect Knabe as a good quality
instrument with potential for a wonderful tone with a little work.
However, the "B's" from the '20s all seemed a little too light in
construction, with a few too many shortcuts taken.  Nice instruments,
but not world class.  I liked Knabe, and sought them out because they
are plentiful here (Annapolis-Baltimore area), and because the old Knabe
grands seem to be undervalued.

I was called by a Virginia farmer one day.  He had read my sales ad in
the paper for a Knabe, and he had a Knabe he wanted to restore himself.
He paid me to drive the two hours to his farm and consult with him about
the piano.  I met him at his home and we drove together to the farm
blacksmith shop where the piano sat atop the brick forge, legs piled
inside the case, no lyre, no music desk, and both mice and birds nesting
in the action. The farmer explained to me that he had bought the piano
at auction from the Virginia School for the Deaf and Blind, where
apparently the piano had resided for about 50 years.  The piano had been
built in 1912 by Knabe in Baltimore.

I went over the piano and found that the rim was quite sound, the plate
was ornate, and appeared in good shape under the years of crud.  The
action was a total loss.  Amazingly the soundboard was almost perfect,
free from any cracks and with good crown. Maybe the keys, and frame
could be salvaged.  Hard to tell about the pinblock.  The piano had been
in an unheated, semi open forge/shop for more than a year, and who knows
what before that.  I explained to the farmer the risks involved and gave
him an estimate to make the piano once again playable.  He was a very
qualified cabinet maker and wanted to do the case work himself.  I
valued the piano in its present condition as worth less than $500.

It was almost six months before I heard from the farmer again.  He had
decided that the piano was just too expensive and time consuming, and
wanted to know if I would give him $500 for it.  I had just sold a few
pianos so I had some cash to spare, I liked Knabe, and I thought I had
detected some pretty nicely figured mahogany under the nearly opaque,
alligatored shellac on the case.  I bought the piano and hauled it to my
shop/home, where it sat over the winter, covered in an unheated but dry
garage.

This spring I started restoration.  I envisioned that this piano was a
gamble but that it might come out to be an OK instrument which I would
sell for less than $10,000.  As I stripped the case, the quality of the
mahogany veneer became apparent, beautiful, subtle, a match for anything
else I have ever seen.  The case structure was no compromise.  Solid,
with a four post frame, and a rim a full two inches taller than on a
modern Steinway B.  Nice carving on the legs and molding on the case.
Not too ornate, but classy. Because the wood was so nice, I spent more
time than I should, refinishing with uncounted coats of hand rubbed
shellac.  The plate was also a work of art.  Cast in intricate detal,
with ornate holes, no waviness, and fortunately very solid.  A little
scrubbing, sanding, priming, and painting, and it came out like new.

The soundboard was amazing.  Under the years of dirt, it was perfect.  I
stripped the original shellac finish with alcohol, and hand rubbed on a
new shellac finish.  It is beautiful.  The bridges got cleaned up,
renotched, epoxy sealed, regrahpited and repinned.

The pinblock was a big debate.  It looked very good, but why not replace
and be safe?  I batted the issue around, and finally decided to keep the
original.  All the rest of the wood was good, why not the block?
Besides, would a replacement ever be as structurally sound as the
original?  It was repinned with 4/0 pins, and it has ended up very
stable and easy to tune.

The action was shot, but I was able to use Renner universal wippens,
shanks and flanges and duplicate the original geometry.  The new Renner
light hammers matched the weight of the originals very closely.  I had
to determine the hammer line by ear and experiment. The backchecks were
releathered, and all felts replaced.  The backaction was a mess, but
with some rebushing, lots of patience and a little CA glue, it was
restored to like new condition.  The keys all got cleaned up and
rebushed, but I was unable to save the ivories.  The new German plastics
are a nice compromise.

Because the music desk and lyre were missing, I had to
modify/manufacture them from what the catalogs offer.  I'm not happy
with the result, they are functional, but don't match the overall
quality of the rest of the piano.

Slowly the piano came back together.  I was surprised when I measured
the touchweight and found that it was very close to a uniform 42 grams
from top to bottom.  Too light, I thought.  I finally got the piano
restrung (I stuck to the original scale, figuring the guys that built
these things know a lot more than me in this department).  After a few
chip tunings, I installed the action and did the first complete tuning
with dampers installed and regulated. THEN CAME THE BIG SURPRISE.  I
played a few measures of a simple Hayden sonata I have been struggling
with.  I could not believe my ears!  I'm not much of a pianist, but I do
know beauty when I hear it, and this piano had/has the most beautiful,
clear, sweet, and even powerful tone I have heard in anything its size.
Yes, it was still rough, unvoiced, drifting, but unmistakably
wonderful.  I called to my wife, who is a pretty accomplished musician.
She tried the piano and went away in disbelief.  She owns and teaches on
a 1929 M&H "BB" which she has always defended as the best piano she has
ever played.  Over the years, her "BB" has sat adjacent to very good
Steinways, Bs, A2s, A3s, Os, and beaten them all.

Over the past months, the Knabe has just gotten better and better with
careful voicing, and as the new strings stabilize finer tunings are
possible.  My wife has decided that the Knabe is now "her" piano, and
the M&H is up for sale.  I can't argue with her, although I suffer from
tinnitus and must play the Knabe with the lid closed because of it's
power and clarity, especially in the mid-treble - I never had that
trouble with the M&H. The touch at 42 grams turns out not to be a
problem.  The action is fast and responsive, and the dynamic range is
incredible.  I've got it tuned to a Vallotti-Young temperament and you
never heard anything sweeter (well maybe you've heard something just as
sweet).

Well, anyway, that's just about the end of my story.  The conclusion is,
that in my practical experience what you have written about the quality
of pianos of this vintage, Knabe in particular, is 100% correct.  I am
actively seeking more Knabe restoration projects, but unfortunately, a
pre-1915 Knabe grand is not something that can be bought from a catalog
or the Yellow pages.  Maybe that's good.  You correctly note that
nothing in life lasts, but it does give me great satisfaction to find
one of these beautiful creations and restore it to a condition so that
it will last at least another 80 years or so.

Regards,

Frank Weston