Overstretched solid string?

Travis L Gordy tgordy@horizon.hit.net
Tue, 11 Nov 1997 00:31:43 -0600

Hi list:  Someone might be interested in my recent experience with a new
S&S D. It is a new piano bought 18 months ago and at a small college I
tune for.  From the beginning I had trouble with the bass side string of
F2 (at the cross over). Impossible to get a clean unison. The string had
a sound that seemed similar to that of cheaper instruments with inherent
cross over problems. Not the even false beat sound of riding up the
bridge pin although I tried tapping at the bridge with no effect.  One
might call the sound whangy.  Voicing changed quality a little but did
not fix the problem. The center string (extension of the bass side) had
a little of the same problem.

People at the school had not complained but I did discuss the problem
with the head of the department on the day I tuned for a visiting
artist, and promised to ask the experts on the internet about it. That
evening I attended the concert with a customer and friend of mine who
has a S&S L. This friend has "perfect pitch". At intermission she said,
"The second F below middle C has a bad, harsh sound-- metalic." The
performer was heavy handed and kept hitting that note with full force.
Would you believe that the very next day some of you people were talking
about string problems and I believe it was Del that said a string can be
stretched too near the yield point and affect its quality. I went
streight away (as I think our British friend would say) and installed a
new string and EUREKA !, problem solved. Why didn't I have the courage
to try changing the string months ago? Oh well, expensive new
piano----new string stretching problems--- no one said "that's awful.
Fix it!" My, my my.

Another thing I have been concerned about is an overall harsh sound
which I am convinced is the result of too much lacquer. With this heavy
handed performer and every piece showing off his technique which was
quite good, the piano sound was not what one would hope for. Bass
clarity was lost and muddy at one point. When the piano was first
delivered it obviously needed voiced and this was promised by the dealer
who would send his technician. When he finally arrived I was away and
did not get to observe his work, so do not know what he used or how
much, but he certainly increased brilliance, which had been asked for.
With the department head approval I will use the needles to see what I
can do, but what I would like to do is install a new set of hammers.

Travis Gordy RPT