Duo pianists choose mismatched pianos

Susan Kline skline@proaxis.com
Mon, 10 Nov 1997 19:48:10 -0800 (PST)

Dear Travis,

I tuned for Markham and Broadway years and years ago in California, one of
only two or three real concerts I did there. It was a very positive
experience. They were very pleasant to work with, and played very well.

They had 9 foot Yamahas travelling with them, and the concert was held in a
large round church. The two pianos did not match in voicing, one being much
brighter than the other. The sounds mixing and coming from all sides due to
the shape of the room was very exciting. Being able to distinguish which
piano was playing which part of the music was wonderful, too.

I mentioned to Markham and Broadway afterwards how interesting the voicing
had been, and how well it had worked with the room, and learned that they
had not intended to play pianos with different voicing. It had just kind of
been thrust on them. But from what you are saying, maybe since then they
have figured out what a good idea it is.

If I were in your place, I think I'd rather change the travel plans than
miss this concert, or leave them to the mercies of a not-quite tuner. If you
_really_ can't be there, maybe you could find a colleague better than your
local one willing to drive a little and tune for them. If you've tuned for
the local Community Concerts for so long, surely they'll take your advice as
to what tuner to hire.

Sincerely,

Susan

At 08:40 PM 11/10/97 -0600, Travis wrote:
>Duo pianists "Markham and Broadway", will be performing in my city this
>Sunday, as one of our Community Concerts series.  The newspaper article
>states "The two match a Steinway concert grand with a modern Yamaha and
>get a thumbs up from all sections from classical to modern music
>lovers". How about that? Any comments? Should be interesting.
>Unfortunately, I will be out of town and miss the opportunity to tune
>those pianos together, which I assume should present no problem as long
>as they are both at A440 or whatever pitch is asked for. Would love to
>tune them then hear them.  This will be the first Comunity Concert I
>will not have tuned for since 1961. Think they plan to ask the local
>instrument tooner (I dont know what instrument). :-( ... :-).  Surely
>some of you have tuned for this duo and can tell us about the sound.
> Travis Gordy  RPT

Susan Kline
P.O. Box 1651
Philomath, OR 97370
skline@proaxis.com

"By using your intelligence, you can sometimes make your problems twice as
complicated."
			-- Ashleigh Brilliant