Practice Room Problems

John Musselwhite musselj@cadvision.com
Mon, 10 Nov 1997 20:20:29 -0700

At 01:08 PM 11/10/97 -0600, Avery wrote:

>   Do any of you college techs have a good way for the students to notify
>you when there is a problem with a piano? Envelope for notes on a bulletin
>board? Note pads in practice rooms?

One suggestion might be a single log book/notebook for all problems kept in
one place in the music office or wherever the keys to the practice rooms
are left. You may also be able to set up a (sturdy) suggestion box
somewhere near the practice rooms where notes of any kind about the pianos
could be dropped and collected. Don't leave anything  that isn't bolted
down in a practice room or it won't be there for long.

Do you have access to voice mail? Some systems can take a message and then
call your pager so you will know immediately that a call has come in.
Students may not have access to free telephones though, and they may not be
willing to part with a quarter for the call.

Finally, many college and university students have easy access to email (I
would hope) so if possible have the Sys Admin set up an email address for
something like "pianoproblem@uh.edu". The tech(s) could read and respond to
messages left in that mailbox at any time.

If there is space on the school's intranet web server you could also set up
detailed information about the use, misuse, care and feeding of all the
pianos as well as any info about each instrument you'd care to give them.
This same info could be handed out in hard copy to the students using the
pianos.

>   In the new building, my shop is no longer in the practice room area and
>one of the teachers just told me a couple of students have said "but we
>don't know where his shop is". Duuh. Find out. But you know how students
>can be at times. :-)

Perhaps in the orientation literature you could include a map as well as
specific written instructions to the people using the pianos.

Good luck!

		John

John Musselwhite, RPT
Calgary, Alberta Canada