C C KAZOO

Frank Weston waco@ari.net
Mon, 10 Nov 1997 08:05:23 -0500

Glenn wrote:

> On my new (old) Steinway M (1922 just refurbished) there is an odd
> thing happening.  C4 and C5 have a sound that starts just a nanosecond
> after you strike the note and lasts for no more than a second.  It
> sounds just like a kazoo!  It doesn't change in amplitude.  If you
> play too loud you cover it up but it is still there.  I've felt all
> around, I've fondled dampers, pins, strings, bridge pins, duplex
> scales, you name it.  To make it more strange, it is intermittent.  I
> usually comes in after a few minutes of playing and more at night!?!
> It doesn't matter if the lid is up or down.  I've checked hardware on
> the lid.  I banged all of the strings down at the bridge, nothing
> helps.   This weak sound seems to be coming from under or behind the
> music desk, right in between C4 and C5.  I got it to do it with F2
> once but just now when I tried it, nothing.  Only those two notes.
>
> Could it be agraffs?  The plate was recently repainted.

Have you checked the casters?  How about the lamp next to the piano?
Your tool box?  Any loose screws or springs in the trapwork?  Try moving
the piano a foot or two in the room, see if that has any effect.  Check
the soundboard carefully for small objects like paper clips and dried
chunks of glue.

Frank Weston