C C KAZOO

Glenn rockymtn@sprynet.com
Sun, 9 Nov 1997 22:26:42 -0700

On my new (old) Steinway M (1922 just refurbished) there is an odd thing =
happening.  C4 and C5 have a sound that starts just a nanosecond after =
you strike the note and lasts for no more than a second.  It sounds just =
like a kazoo!  It doesn't change in amplitude.  If you play too loud you =
cover it up but it is still there.  I've felt all around, I've fondled =
dampers, pins, strings, bridge pins, duplex scales, you name it.  To =
make it more strange, it is intermittent.  I usually comes in after a =
few minutes of playing and more at night!?!  It doesn't matter if the =
lid is up or down.  I've checked hardware on the lid.  I banged all of =
the strings down at the bridge, nothing helps.   This weak sound seems =
to be coming from under or behind the music desk, right in between C4 =
and C5.  I got it to do it with F2 once but just now when I tried it, =
nothing.  Only those two notes. =20

Could it be agraffs?  The plate was recently repainted. =20

Ideas?  Hey, maybe this could make the PTG "puzzler" of the month!

Thanks,

Glenn.