Master Tunings (was Re: SAT QUESTION)

Avery Todd atodd@uh.edu
Sun, 9 Nov 1997 13:49:38 -0600

List,

   I have always understood that the master tuning was done STRICTLY
aurally by one person, then picked apart by 2 additional RPT's with the
intent of improving the  tuning. THEN is is recorded and stored into
a (an) SAT.
   Could someone correct me if I'm wrong?

Avery

SNIP

>..well, i suppose this is partially correct..I was informed that the piano I
>will be tested on has the tuning stored in an SAT and the *numbers* that are
>stored are the combined efforts of an Aural and Visual tuning on this  piano..
>
>..i will be asked to set a temperment and tune to the break..then i will be
>tested against what is stored in the SAT..

Avery Todd, RPT
Moores School of Music
University of Houston
Houston, TX 77204-4893