One of those silly questions...

John Musselwhite musselj@cadvision.com
Sun, 09 Nov 1997 10:30:54 -0700

At 09:34 AM 11/9/97 +0000, Michel wrote:

>I apologize fo my limited understanding in English.  I see repetitively
>people writing "an SAT" and one can see it has been written at least a
>hundred times that way in you search for that string in the archives.
>Is it because it simply slips better on the tongue or is it because I
>really make a mistake in writing "a SAT"?

It depends on whether you spell the letters or pronounce SAT as a word. It
is "an  S-A-T", or "a SAT".

In the English language "an" is used as the indefinite article only if the
following word begins with a vowel (with the exception of "h" as in "an
harmonica"). However, you pronounce the letter "s" as though it was spelled
"ess". Since this sounds like it begins with a vowel (even if it doesn't)
we would use "an" as the indefinite article.

And yes, it's because it slips off the tongue easier ... B-})

		John

John Musselwhite, RPT
Calgary, Alberta Canada
musselj@cadvision.com