Silly questions... Off Topic

Richard Wagner Rjwag@pacifier.com
Sun, 09 Nov 1997 09:00:50 -0800

Dear Michel,

This isn't a silly question.  It's just a question about silly English
Grammar.

The reason so many people write "an SAT" is because, as children, we're
taught to use the word "an" if it precedes a word that starts with a vowel
like "a,e,i,o,u."

Now while it's true that the "S" in "SAT" is not a vowel, if you speak it
out loud, the "S" is pronounced like "es" and therefore it feels like
you're saying a vowel.  So by habit, we automatically say and write "an
SAT" not "a SAT".

And you're correct, it does trip off the tounge more easily this way.

Whether actually writing "an SAT" as opposed to "a SAT"  is technically
correct or not, I wouldn't know.

Hope your not more confused than before.

                                         Richard Wagner RPT