Small size keyboard

Sat, 08 Nov 1997 12:29:01 -0800

Ted_Sambell@BanffCentre.AB.CA wrote:

> ... The standard keyboard is 48" long , sometimes a little more. This keyboard
> is six inches shorter. We at the Banff Centre were supplied with a set.
> complete with keyframe, made from measurements and tracings from one of our
> grands. Nevertheless, it was a complex and demanding job to install them.
> Retrofitting them to a vertical would not be too dofficult. If need be we
> can replace the original keys in fifteen minutes.
>
> Regards, Ted
>
> Ted_Sambell@banffcentre.ab.ca

----------

Ted,

I was once told that the "International Standard" key headscale had a spread of 1220 mm (works out
to 48.03") from the centerline of A-1 to the c/l of C-88. Then I designed a set of keys to go with a
new piano and found that no one could make a keyset to that dimension. Everyone seems to have their
own standard with some of the widest spreads being found in pianos from Japan. Go figure.

I've never had a request from any pianist for a wider keyspread, but over the years I've had many
from folks wanting keys just a little bit narrower. Frankly, I like to see it standardize at 1200 mm
from c/l to c/l. In fact, whether there is any standardization or not, I'd like to find someone --
Anyone. Assuming, of course, that they worked to a reasonable quality standard -- that was willing
to make semi-production keys with this spread. I'll check with D/S Keyboards.

Regards,

Del