Uprights

Roger Jolly baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Tue, 04 Nov 1997 16:32:33

Hi All,
        Rebuilding worth it or not?  Well with the changes in society
towards collectables, I think those who advocate not rebuilding vertical
pianos are missing out on a growing segment of the piano economy.
  It is true that pin block and board replacement is hardly worth it at
this point in time, but for $4,000. Canadian, we can replace butts, shanks,
hammers,dampers, strings, oversize pins, and all key bed and bushing felt.
  On the better quality pianos of yester year that have good boards and
bridges,it is well worth the effort. One full week of work, a $1,000 for
parts,
not bad income. The result of the refurbishing is invariably superior to
the touch and tone quality of say a Yamaha model U1 that retails in Canada
for $9,500
  We process at least one unit per month. Many of the customers will also
spend an extra $2.500 to have the case refinished.
  Good judgment is called for on what to rebuild, but believe me there is a
big market for our members out there. With practice the complete job can be
done in a week.
  Regards to all.
Roger Jolly
University of Saskatchewan