Last Three Strings

Mon, 03 Nov 1997 15:23:38 -0800

CCLPianos@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 10/31/97 7:41:54 PM, you wrote:
>
> <<you might try Baldwin's trick of mass-loading the back of the tenor bridge
> at the point where the lowest
> string set crosses it. (Actually, that practice might still be under patent.
> You'd have to check first.)>>
>
> I have a question. What is mass loading the back of the tenor bridge?
> Thanks
> Pat Wethington RPT
> Denver, CO

  In this case it refers to a small brass weight that is used on the back of the soundboard of the
Baldwin Model 6000 vertical piano. This weight is about 1- 1/4" to 1- 1/2" in diameter and is
approximately 1" long. It is positioned right at the end of the tenor bridge, but on the back side
of the soundboard. Its function is to increase the mass component of the mechanical impedance
formula. It acts to slow down the transfer of energy from the strings of the lowest unisons on the
tenor bridge to the soundboard. In so doing it increases the sustain of those notes, hence its name
the "Tone Extender." Baldwin was able to get the piece patented, though I don't know how. The basic
idea has been around for at least 120 years. In any case, it does work.

-- ddf

A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: vcard.vcf
Type: text/x-vcard