needles

Mon, 03 Nov 1997 12:42:02 -0800

Les, Jim, et al,

After messing around with glover's needles, and whatever else
was popular at the time, I was introduced to the needles sold
through Yamaha.  They were so superior to anything else
(with the exception of extremely hard to find needles from
England or Germany), that I bought a large quantity (about
4 dozen packs) of the longer ones sold.

The difference seems to have been not only the quality of the
metal itself, but the needles from Yamaha were also hardened...
quite useful when dealing with some of the plastic mallets which
pass for piano hammers these days...

No, I don't know if they still stock these or not.  Also, they were not
cheap.  However, they have outlasted anything else by so long
that I don't care.

Bye the way,  Needles is actually a small town in the middle of
nowhere on the California/Arizona border - possibly the differing
grades of needles available from Schaff/WalMart/etc, are made
possible by the harvesting of same from varying kinds of local
cactus...

(sorry)

Best.

Horace

At 09:37 PM 11/1/97 -0600, you wrote:
>Hi, Jim.
>
>Well, I ordered some needles from Schaff, and they looked strangely like
>the needles one would buy at WalMart or a cloth store, with eyes for
>thread and everything. Needles-to-say, they're cheaper at WalMart, and
>that's where I'll buy them in the future.
>
>leslie

Horace Greeley

Systems Analyst/Engineer
Controller's Office