Treble duplex (Forward)

Roger Jolly baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Mon, 03 Nov 1997 11:23:36

Thanks Del,
            I completely agree with your comments on rear duplexing, the
amount of extra power and tone colour gained is questionable.
    Having said this, the piano in question has a crude quality casting at
best.
the forward and rear pressure bars are a long way from being parallel, and
there is a quite an audible pitch difference on all three of the duplex
unisons.
   Trying to assess a potential outcome, with worn hammers, tired strings,
and badly grooved bars, is as much gut feel as opposed to science. Your
point on the angle of the string through the pressure bars is well taken,
visually it looks quite steep, and with the tuning hammer there seems to be
lots of drag in setting the string, but this is probably due to grooves,
tired strings, and no lubricant.
   Since this is not a customers piano I can indulge myself with some
experimentation, so I think I am going to give it a shot.
   Thanks once again for your help
Kind Regards.

Roger Jolly
University of Saskatchewan