Rescale treble

Roger Jolly baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Sun, 02 Nov 1997 17:04:56

Greetings Del,
               I have just got a 5'8" no brand name piano in on trade.
Obviously a lower grade PSO but the board and bridges are in great shape.
   I have had a mind to try and control forward termination harmonics for a
number of years and as this unit is mine, a screw up will just cost me time
and material.

    I am thinking of grinding off the rear pressure bars in the casting,
and replacing them with short 1/8" half round stainless steel bar. My
theory being that if it is tuned to a) a compatible harmonic and b) all
three unisons are in tune with each other, a more round and stronger tone
quality will result.

    A number of years ago I had suggested to Harold Conklin to make the
treble temination resonators, on the SD10 out of Nymonic steel. Cost wise
it was off the wall, but the result was case hardening of the previously
mild steel items.
The result was a great improvment in projection, and very little wear to
the resonators over along period.

    Several questions you may be able to help with..
 1. Have you tried some thing like this. If so what did you learn?
 2. The top note I have enough room to tune the forward duplex to the
octave, is it worth a try.
 3. Any suggestions an a pattern of harmonic conponents to try for.
 4. Any prefferences re. 1st 2nd 3rd 4th harmonic and in what range ect.

  Any help would be greatly appreciated
 Regards Roger Jolly.
Roger Jolly
University of Saskatchewan