Plate Break after restringing-Preliminary report

Sat, 01 Nov 1997 22:28:54 -0800

Warren Fisher wrote:

> My customer came in today, looked at the crack, which is all the way
> through the hitch pin area between two struts, and said "Wow! That's big
> isn't it?  I thought it was just a little crack in the wood or
> something!"
>
> I explained all the implications of the break, including much of what
> you gugs have told me.  I gave her a sheet with all the plate repair
> suggestions and price guesses you sent; told her I would be contacting
> welders this week for prices and suggestions, and would get back to her.
> Next, I explained the cost implications of removing the plate versus
> repairing it in place (restringing again, dis-assembling the case and
> removing the keybed.  The possibility of having to step up to a larger
> size tuning pin again).  Then I asked her what she thought we ought to
> do.  Her answer was completely off the wall!
>
> She asked if the crack really HAD TO BE FIXED!  She said she chose the
> piano out of a house full of furniture when a relative died, did not
> play a note herself and just wanted something on which to learn a few
> tunes!
>
> I told her that I thought the strings in the break area would not stay
> in tune, and that some other part of the plate could eventually break if
> it was not repaired.
>
> She asked if I could tune it well enough to play tunes without repairing
> it.  I said I hadn't the foggiest idea!  She said she wanted me to try
> because she couldn't afford additional expense right now and that we
> could always take it back to the shop later for repair if it doesn't
> work.  I told her I would pull up the strings, tune it and check it
> after a week to see if it was holding and let her know. We could make a
> decision then.  By that time we should have the estimates and
> information from the welders.
>
> Folks, this nice lady has not given me any indications that she thinks I
> am liable in any way for this tragedy and wants me to it make as well as
> possible.  I don't want to get too defensive legally or it may create
> the exact situation I want to avoid.
>
> Any thoughts?
>
> Warren
> --
> Home of the Humor List
> Warren D. Fisher
> fish@communique.net
> Registered Piano Technician
> Piano Technicians Guild
> New Orleans Chapter 701

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Warren,

I've read a lot of notes offering sympathy for your predicament -- you have ours as well. I've read a lot of good legal and
quasi-legal advice here. I've read a lot of various types of business advice, some good, some questionable. But, unless I
missed it, what I'm not reading here is an analysis for precisely why this plate cracked. What actually caused the failure.
Is there a weakness in the design? Had the crack been developing for some period of time, just now deciding to let go? Are
there holes or voids in the metal through the cracked area? Do other parts of the plate seem well made. Is the casting rough
or does it appear to be generally of good quality? Is there any evidence of discoloration or corrosion inside the cracked
area? Was the crack already present when you started to tune pull it up? Can you tell? Did it let go with a bang? If so, and
if the crack opened while you were pitch raising the instrument, what makes you think that you will be able to tune the piano
to pitch without it cracking elsewhere? Were their loose plate bolts? Were there any nosebolts in the area? Does the area
appear to be strong enough so that, if welded, there is a reasonable expectation of success?

I'd strongly suggest that you try to determine in advance just what additional problems you may encounter with just pulling
it up and hoping for the best. I'm really skeptical about your chances of success with this route -- in fact, I'd be really
surprised if at least one more crack didn't develop in the process.

I've had lots of broken plates repaired over the years and so far the success rate is excellent. But, before starting on any
plate repair I always make an effort to determine why that specific plate cracked in exactly that spot. If I determine to my
satisfaction that either the metal or the design was flawed I'll pass on the job. It's not worth the headaches.

Get the plate off the back and take it to a welding shop. It's amazing what a good man/woman with a torch can do with cast
iron these days. You may be pleasantly surprised at the cost as well. If the crack is what I think it is you're probably
looking at about $75 to $100.