Plate break after restringing

BSimon1234 BSimon1234@aol.com
Sat, 1 Nov 1997 13:23:02 EST

Glenn wrote:

<<Back to the excellent auto repair shop analogy:  If you take your car in for
an oil change and the engine block cracks while the mechanic is unscrewing
your oil filter, you don't get a free engine block.  You pay for the new found
problem and move on.  You can try to blame the mechanic/shop/owner/etc., but
you will surely lose.>>

Glenn, imagine that you take your car in for $10.00 oil change.

The Shop  - "Oops, the engine block cracked while we were changing the oil
filter. "

Glenn -  "Must have been ready to go anyway, like when you changed to oil in
my wife's car. How much is a new one"

The Shop - " $1,800 for a really good one, one with a lot of pre-crack life
left in it, plus labor"

Glenn - "Well, go ahead, if it needs replacing it needs replacing! Call me
when you are done. OH! Wait!  If the front suspension breaks, like last time
when you put the new block in, just go ahead and fix that too. Bye. "

IN ALL SERIOUSNESS - It is beginning to sound, to me, like some of you
"routinely" get plates that just happen to crack when rebuilding the piano.
And, apparently, you see that as the piano's problem, not something you might
have caused. Am I right?

I contend that plates do not break that easily!  I have busted up several
plates, on the ground, out of the piano, with a 12 pound sledge hammer. You
can work up a sweat doing it. They are not made of glass. You can whack
several times in one spot before it cracks.

The next time one cracks in your shop, try busting it up with a hammer as an
experiment in metallurgy, before taking it to the dump. ( CAUTION!  - Don't
break it up before calling the customer! )

Bill Simon
Phoenix