Seating/false beats

John Peters jpeters9@ix.netcom.com
Mon, 05 May 1997 01:55:07 -0700

Hi Ron,

>One of the major points I tried to make with the never ending thread was
the unlikelihood of strings being driven up pins by play. I asked four or
five times if anyone had found a piano pounded sharp after the concert, but
no one had.

This might not be a good test, because "pounded" strings will go flat
without any alteration of height on the bridge.  For example, this piano was
flat before
reseating the strings.  Strings that noticeably moved down when tapped
dropped almost a quarter step further!  Other strings that were tapped (same
force), but did not noticeably move down retained their pitch. My hunch is
that it is unlikely that the light tap via a wooden dowel positioned on the
string at an angle to the bridge pin would drive in the pin (given that the
string isn't connected to the pin.). A thought definitely worth checking
out, though....

One further observation...the strings that showed the most movement were
concentrated largely in the treble area under the right hand that might be
expected to be subjected to numereous rapid, forceful repetitions by a
proficient pianist.

>This is the wrong time of year for this, but I am going to start carrying a
dial indicator when tuning. I'll get measurements of both string and pin
height before and after the seating.

Sounds like a good plan. I'd be interested in hearing what you find! Thanks
for your thoughtful ideas.
John Peters, RPT
Berkeley, CA
jpeters@netcom.com