World's Worst Tuner

Barb Barasa bbarasa@mind.net
Mon, 31 Mar 1997 20:07:21 +0000

> My feeling is that the piano holds an enoumous strain from the tension of the
> strings and it is the duty of the technician to respect what that tension can
> do to a piano.  I know that bass bridges do not come loose and crawl up due
> to old age and gravity!  I feel that I should at least respect the integrity
> and structure of the piano by restoring this strain at  a slow and regular
> pace.   I do however offer to the customer that the pitch can be raised in
> one session, but if they want this service, they will have to sign a
> disclaimer stating that I will not be held responsible for the consequences
> which can include, although extremely rare, fracturing of the piano plate
> which may render the piano useless and unrepairable.  (No one has ever agreed
> to a pitch raise).

Many of us have been pitch raising and tuning pianos that are
drastically below pitch with no ill effects.  I do always warn the
customer that strings may break because they are brittle from age,
but this has very rarely happened (a few times in 15 years for me).
If the customer wants the piano up to pitch, I am happy to leave the
piano in its proper "form."  If not, I raise it a little and suggest
they continue to have that done until it is up to pitch.

I agree that a piano that is in tune with itself (at any pitch) is
not going to wreck anyone's musicianship.  It is relative pitch which
is important to musicians.

> I'm probably the Worlds Worst Tuner

No, I don't think so at all.  But we all come by our information and
"beliefs" from different sources.  My tuning instructor (a CTE)
recommended pitch raises, and highly exprienced tuners I've talked to
since also recommend them.  You were just taught something different.

Barb Barasa
Ashland OR

"When nothing is sure,
     everything is possible."