sanding hammers

Warren Fisher fish@COMMUNIQUE.NET
Mon, 31 Mar 1997 13:34:40 -0800

Richard Anderson wrote:

> Hi list,
> I need to reduce mass on a set of hammers. How do I taper the hammers on
> a belt sander without getting mahogany dust stuck in the hammer felt?
> I've tried different grits and positions, but I keep getting the nice
> white hammer felt dirty with the sawdust.
>
> Thanks,
> Richard Anderson, RPT
> Elgin, IL

Richard, clamp a vacuum hose with a crevice tool attached to your
workbench so that it removes all the saw dust before it gets into the
air.  I use a disk sander which has a small table upon which I clamp a
jig that guides the tail of the hammer in at the correct angle each
time. It also sands hammer shanks to the correct length if you use the
factory method of installing the upright shanks into the hammer head
first, then gluing the two into an already mounted butt in the piano.
If you are interested in the jig, I can send you a sketch by snail mail.

Hope this helps,

Warren
--
Home of The Humor List