Disgruntled list members (long)

Mon, 31 Mar 1997 11:00:15 -0700

Jim,

re: stickies, I love'em and use 'em extensively, particularly as you describe.

re: damper upstop rails.

Years ago, we had a rash of damper problems with the C&A stock in LA.  The
problems _seemed_ to coincide with a particularly pointilistic style of
performance (read: poorly performed contemporary music).  Anyway, after
much tearing of hair and gnashing of teeth, Ken Brown (who was, for many
years the main C&A technician for Sherman, Clay & Co. in LA) decided that
enough was enough and not only went (quite carefully) through basic damper
and trapwork
regulation, but then installed a stop block of felt to keep travel within
reasonable bounds.  We
monitored the compression of this block carefully over time, making sure
that it caused no
other problems.

Jim, I am not sure if this scenario is exactly what you have in mind, but
the playing involved was _quite_ heavy (and loud, and obnoxious, and, and,
and...)

So, my two cents on this are that, while I don't make a practice of tightly
limiting pedal travel, doing so  judiciously has really saved me some grief.

Best.

Horace

>A month ago I was called to fix a Grand in a recording studio which had
>sticking damper problems caused by the damper upstop rail having been
>pushed up to where the dampers were jamming 3/4" above rest position. I
>figured that by resetting the stop rail, the problem would be solved.
>Easy. Yesterday I was called back for the next tuning and found just a few
>Bass dampers jamming again.  The stop rail had been raised again part way.
>This time I not only reset the rail properly, but also took care of the
>excessive pedal and trap lever travel which was forcing the stop rail
>up.  It pays to be more thorough doesn't it?  Some Rock pianists and some
>church pianists keep time with the sustain pedal and that is what can
>drive a stop rail up unless the pedal travel is limited properly.  I
>wonder if anyone has found these rails to climb just from heavy playing
>alone.
>
>Jim Coleman, Sr.

Horace Greeley			hgreeley@leland.stanford.edu

	"Always forgive your enemies,