Trap Work (Was: Disgruntled list members)

Greg Newell gnewell@en.com
Mon, 31 Mar 1997 01:47:31 +0000

On Mon, 31 Mar 1997 00:16:15 -0600, Joel Rappaport wrote:

>This is getting long, so I am replying up here at the top.  Jon Page ha=
>an excellent point (from another post entirely).
>
>Warren, your idea is much better than a simple capstan mostly because o=
>the force and frequency of right (damper lift) pedal use.  However, now=

>that I think of it, we use a capstan to limit the sostenuto lever trave=
>and stay with the block of hammer felt for the damper lift pedal.  As
>long as it stays glued onto the lever (we use hot hide glue), it won't
>change much from compression and is a big enough surface to take a lot
>of foot stomping (ever watch Andr=82 Watts when he really gets into it?=
).

>Also, Allan L. Gilreath made an excellent observation:
>> However, I've found the
>> capstan that Kawai uses (perhaps used to use?) can get the threads st=
ripped
>> out in the wood and not perform their function under HEAVY use.
>
>The lag screw or bolt that needs grinding starts to be too much time
>compared to using a felt block.  It only takes 1-2 minutes to cut an
>appropriate piece of hammer felt and glue it onto the lever.  "Fine"
>adjustments can be made by sliding the felt block just a little bit
>forward or back on the lever just before gluing it as you set the amoun=
>of damper lift you want.  The lever moves in an arc, you know, and
>placement of the block will change how far up the dampers are allowed t=
>move.  This adjustment is made in conjunction with how high the keys of=

>a finish-regulated action raise the dampers.  Then the damper stop rail=

>is adjusted.  Hope this helps.
>----Joel
>>
>> Joel Rappaport wrote:

>> > ------------------------
>> > An excellent idea, Greg.  All you would need to do is install a cap=
stan
>> > on the underside of the keybed.  It should hit some pretty hard fel=
t for
>> > the regulation to be effective and long lasting.  The reason I did =
not
>> > mention this (we do this in our rebuilding, BTW) is that the capsta=
>> > will give you a really good fine adjustment to the trapwork lever (=
and
>> > hence, pedal) travel.  What Jim Coleman was referring to, however, =
was a
>> > pretty severe case of heavy foot.  Considering the small area of th=
>> > capstan head and the force that is placed on the trapwork lever dur=
ing
>> > foot stomping, a 3cm (about 1-1/4") square of hard hammer felt will=
 take
>> > that force better.
>> >
>> > Joel
>>
>> Joel,
>>
>> What about using a  hex head lag screw or a large flat-headed machine=

>> bolt with the business end rounded off on the grinder to give you fin=
>> contol as well as a broad contact surface?
>>
>> What'cha think?

> [...]
Joel,

	I appreciate the use of the Hammer felt as a strronger substitute for t=
he inverted
capstan. I wonder ... could the adjustment ever need to be changed after=
 we glue that
felt on and if so perhaps 2 capstans would be viable.
					Greg
Greg and Mary Ellen Newell
Greg's Piano Fort=82
Lakewood, Ohio